Friday 17 May 2019

Large abstract art on box canvas

This is the largest canvas I've ever attempted- a 24" x 24" box canvas and I'll admit it did seem quite daunting at first.

 I decided on a neutral colour scheme but other than that I had no other plan for this canvas before I started.

I began by adding some gesso for a little added texture with a large spatula. I then added some Golden fluid acrylics in sepia, burnt umber and black. I love the almost watercolour effect of these acrylic paints.

P1060792 

I realised as I was working that I was focusing on the middle of the canvas too much and eventually tied it all together by adding areas of black on each side.

Towards the end I could see the beginnings of a citiscape but decided not to follow that path for this painting. Having said that I will at a later stage continue to work on this painting and see what transpires, it just isn't quite finished how I want it to be.

P1060798a 


I quite like the result so far but now wish I had started with a lot more texture, but it's a good excuse to try again! I really enjoyed working large, there's just so much more space to experiment.

 For those that watch me on Youtube you will probably notice this is my first video where I have placed the camera to one side of me rather than overhead. The canvas was just too big to lay flat on my work table under the camera but I really like the different perspective of this video. You can just make out my camera rig that my husband made for me, it is so versatile that the cross bar acts as an easel too!

Given that this painting did take quite a bit if time, I have speeded it up quite a lot. I hope you enjoy it!


See you again soon, Eleanor x

1 comment:

  1. I always love your neutral tones with the acrylic inks. You are so brave trying a 24X24 piece. great effect :)

    ReplyDelete