Friday 26 April 2019

Abstract mark making session...


One of my favourite things to do is mark making, especially when I get in a bit of a rut which I think I have done recently. This was purely a mark making exercise and not intended to be "finished" pieces of art, just mark making for the pure fun of it!

P1060463 

I started by dividing my paper with masking tape. I have used an A3 heavy weight mixed media cardstock. By dividing the paper this way you get a co-ordinating series of art work without much effort.
I started the process by scribbling with my Boldmere B pencils, the darkest of which is 8B. I also used my beloved Paintstik oil sticks by Markal. These are great if you just scribble, or whether you scribble then blend. They also work well with acrylic paints layered over the top.

I also used my wax crayons by Manley which I got from Amazon. I love the wide range of colours in the pack of 30.

P1060510



To apply the acrylic paint I used a small rubber brayer and the side of my hand which you can see in the video. It was why I wore rubber gloves for this project! I use my fingers a lot for acrylic painting, but the side of my hand gave a completely random brushed effect without any brush marks.

I like to use these mini art pieces as a springboard for larger projects or just keep them as they are to refer back to if I need to.

P1060476


I think these would look great translated on to a large canvas.

P1060483 

I have a Youtube video for anyone who would like to see the process. I hope it inspires you!


Thank you for stopping by, Eleanor x

1 comment:

  1. love the abstract effect and the panels you created Eleanor :)

    ReplyDelete